Turkish Thoracic Journal
Original Article
Effect of rebound thymic hyperplasia on survival in chemotherapy treated lung cancer

Effect of rebound thymic hyperplasia on survival in chemotherapy treated lung cancer

1.

University of Health S ciences Dr Suat Seren Chest Diseases an d Thoracic Surgery Training and Research Hos pital, Chest Diseases, İzmir, Turkey

Turk Thorac J 2019; 1: -
DOI: 10.5152/TurkThoracJ.2019.18163
Keywords : Lung cancer, Survival, Thymus
Read: 145 Downloads: 74 Published: 23 September 2019

Objectives: Thymus is a lymphoepithelial system in which cells responsible for the immune system are produced and directed. The aim of this study is to determine the overall survival effect of rebound thymic hyperplasia (RTH) in patients with non small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treated with systemic chemotherapy (CT).
Materials and Methods: The study was designed as retrospective case series. One hundred thirty patients who met inclusion criteria were evaluated. Demographic data, type of tumor and given treatments were recorded.The frequency of RTH development and the relationship between RTH development and survival were investi-gated.
Results: Median age was 59 and 9 of 13 patients ( with RTH were detected as stable disease two patients partial response (15.3%) and 2 were evaluated as progressive disease (15.3%). Of the remaining 1 17 patients, 78 (66.6%) had stable disease, 11 (9.4%) had complete response, 21 (17.9%) were partial response and 7 patientswere evaluated as having progressive disease (5.9%). Patients were categorized into two groups : G roup 1; without RTH and group 2; w ith RTH . Thirteen (10%) of 130 patients developed RTH (group 2), while the remaining 117 (90%) patients had without RTH (group 1). There was no difference between two groups (59.1 years) in terms of age (p= 0.933). The RTH developed after a median time of 4.5 months (2 7 months) to have been administered CT . Overall survival was longer in the patients with RTH than the patients without RTH (20.04 months) (95% CI: 4.79 35.29) vs. 10.05 months (95% CI 8.74 11.36; p=0.049).
Conclusion: The developing of RTH d uring systemic CT may be a prognostic marker in stage 4 non small cell lungcancer.

Files
EISSN 2149-2530